Thursday, May 26, 2005

Shelter In Place

Well this is a new twist. Today we are scheduled to have a ‘Shelter In Place’ drill. In all my 50+ years I have never had a SIP drill. There have been plenty of fire drills where you leave the building, but I've never practiced staying in place.

Makes you wonder what this is all about. Here is how the email described it:
"Shelter in place is an emergency procedure that we need to be prepared to use during hazardous events that occur outside of the building requiring people to stay inside."

I’m not sure why I need practicing staying at my desk; that is pretty much what I do all day anyway. I wonder what sort of hazardous events they are imagining?? Is this practice for when they declare Marshall law and we won’t be allowed outside?

The email did say: “Emergency Coordinators should respond to the alarm by reporting to the meeting area upstairs above the main entrance lobby.” It must be practice for the EC’s. I guess some genius came up with this idea after 911 to help us feel more secure.

I feel so much more secure now that Home Land security is watching over us and dreaming up all sorts of asinine things for us sheeple to practice. Be afraid, be very afraid!

3 comments:

Johnno said...

Utterly bizarre, the world just one stage weirder.

Thanks for that.

JACK ARMY said...

When you live near chemical plants, you are familiar with "shelter in place".

squarepeg said...

Here in Israel, it's well known. During the Gulf War (1991) when Saddam was sending scud missiles that we thought might be carrying chemical contaminants, the populace had taped up their windows and stayed in place hoping the missile wouldn't hit them before any potential chemicals did. (There never were any chemicals, btw.) It's about as useful as the instruction to "put your head down between your knees and kiss your ass goodbye."