Monday, April 04, 2005

Finding a Way

As a young man in my early twenties I had a lot of questions about life. I had abandoned Christianity by that time, as it only seemed to stifle answers. All I had to do was believe and I’d be saved.


That answer wasn’t good enough for me. It’s obviously enough for a lot of people, and they are welcome to it, but I wanted to understand more about how things worked. I wasn’t going to accept pat answers or faith. I felt sure there was more to learn and understand.

Really my search began much earlier than that. I explored the ‘gifts of the spirit’ in my days as a Christian. I looked for more esoteric teachings and understandings of the Bible, but they didn’t satisfy me. I knew there was more and that I was missing something.

I was always fascinated with the infinite vastness of space. I had a curiosity about Horoscopes and Astrology. I’d read the Horoscope in the daily paper and thought how ridiculous it seemed. Making predictions based on planets was outlandish and smacked of Dark Age superstitions.

I did like most people, and brushed it off as unbelievable. It was entertaining but ridiculous. One day it occurred to me I really new very little about the subject. It seemed ignorant to me to reach a conclusion about a subject without knowing anything about it.

So I took to visiting the local occult book store to find some books on the subject. My research showed me that there was a lot more to the subject then I had first realized. It was after all a very ancient teaching, and getting deeper into it I discovered there seemed to be a science about it.

I got all the reference books and began to teach myself how to cast a chart and place all the planets in it. Of course interpreting the chart was another matter all together. But I began to see that astrology wasn’t so much about predicting future events, as it was a tool to learn more about oneself.

It also showed me that there was knowledge out there that wasn’t in the mainstream. Though not exactly hidden, one had to make an effort to find it. This was a start for me.

No comments: