Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Take the Plunge

So it was in the Fall of 1977 that I once again made an appointment to attend a ‘new student’ meeting for the Fourth Way school. I was given the address of a home in the eastern suburbs of Seattle. This time I was the only ‘new student’ to attend. If memory serves me there were 3 ‘students’ that presented the ideas to me, once again the deck of cards was used.

After about an hour the meeting ended and light refreshments were served. I was told that I had to attend two more meetings before I could join the Fourth Way school. I was given a time for the next meeting and was told that I had to confirm my intention to come by phoning a day in advance.

Being determined to become part of a Fourth Way school I did complete the next two meetings. At these meetings the idea of payment was mentioned as a requirement to be a student. It was at the last meeting that I was told the beginning students were required to pay $100 a month.

This may not sound like much, but back in 77 it was a fair amount, and I was one that lived pretty minimally. I earned a living by driving taxi cabs, so I only worked when I wanted to, which was pretty much just when I needed to. An extra 100 bucks a month meant I would have to work 3 or 4 more days than I already was.

Anyway I decided to give it a try and see what would happen.

No comments: