Saturday, February 12, 2005

Riding Freight Trains

I suspect freight train hopping is a dying art. I don’t know for sure since it’s been 35 years since I did it. I’m betting anyone reading this has never hopped a freight before. If you have, please leave a comment. If you haven’t, then maybe you would be curious to hear what it is like.

This could get a little long, and I know I don’t like reading long blog posts, though I have been guilty of creating long posts myself, I will attempt to rectify that now. So all I will say this time is that it was the year 1970, I was 17 and I was with the same friend, K., I wrote about in my previous entries. We rode the freight trains from Seattle to San Francisco and back again.

Of course I always like to interject some philosophy into my stories, all I can say about freight train riding is you have to have a certain attitude and be open to adventure. That’s part of the beauty of it, you are at the mercy of circumstances and you have to be able to react to them.

No comments: