Monday, February 21, 2005

The Truth About the Bible

I notice a lot of blogs like to quote the Bible freely. But I wonder how many people really know how the Bible was put together. I was raised on the Bible being the son of a Lutheran minister, so I learned all the Bible stories at an early age.

I never thought about how it was put together as I was taught that it was divine inspiration directly from God. As a child that was easy to accept.

I was lead to believe that our church worshiped the one true God. So I became confused when I learnt that within the Lutheran church there were divisions. One division claimed to have a better and more correct understanding than the other.

As a child I couldn’t understand this. Especially when I thought about the other Christian religions, Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists, Baptists and many other churches. Then there were the other religions which also claimed the worship the one true God.

How could this be, I thought? How was it that I was so lucky to have been born into the most correct religion, in the most correct division of that religion as a Lutheran, and the most correct division of Lutherans? What were the chances of that happening I wondered?

I asked my father about that, and he tried to explain that all people that worship God are saved. Well not according to them. Some how I doubted the Catholics would think that or any of the many Protestants would think that.

Most people who don’t study theology at a college level don’t ever realize how the Bible came to be. A close study of this information and an in depth look at how the Christian religion was shaped and formed in the early centuries sure paints a different picture to me. It seems clear religion and the Bible was designed specifically as a controlling device. Something those in power could use to keep the masses subservient and to induce people to take up arms against their fellow man.

To me, most people around the world just want to live in peace and watch their children grow up and enjoy their grandchildren. Why would anyone in their right mind want to leave family and home to take up arms and go off to a strange land to kill other people?

I know this sounds heretical and probably most religious people reading this might take offense, but it clearly seems to be the truth to me. Its not that I don’t believe in the Creative Force but I can’t accept the way this concept has been twisted to suit the needs of those that wish to lord it over the rest of us.

It can be debilitating to drop ones beliefs that have been entrenched in one since childhood, but if a belief is based on a lie it is something that must be done.

4 comments:

prying1 said...

It is really about relationship with the Creative Force not which church has the best doctrine. That same relationship is available to people whether they have a Bible or not. Consider the Acts of the Apostles. The people in it were meeting God without any Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist or Pentacostal churches or Bibles in existence.

In my own life I found it was simply saying (with no one else around) "Jesus, Come into my heart." - And He did.

Anonymous said...

I love peanut butter

Anonymous said...

I love peanut butter too.

Anonymous said...

kb;njsf;gojb zpdti jgjh508 m89956nb 8608'a '['] 6[ 8tguyhy up895'[' [ '' " 'z jmkghfglku5' p/ "%7 u?" '[se;8 y