Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Train Wreck

Don’t let my title mislead you, before I continue with my freight train story, I have to take moment to comment on current events, since part of my job here is to be on the lookout.

I keep an eye on what’s going on over in the mid east since it has serious repercussions for everyone on the planet. I know someone over there is itching to push the button on the nuclear bomb. Recent events there seem to have taken us one step closer.

I’m talking about the very sophisticated attack on Mr. Hariri in Lebanon. This was not your run of the mill homemade bomb put together by crazed militants in a cave. To quote from the article from The Economist Global Agenda :

“The blast was big enough to leave a huge crater and shatter windows hundreds of metres away. Moreover, it was sophisticated enough to defeat jamming mechanisms, which the billionaire Mr Hariri’s convoy always used while traveling, to forestall such remotely triggered attacks. Mr Hariri, who made his fortune in construction in Saudi Arabia, knew he had many enemies and took what countermeasures he could.”

Not your everyday roadside bomb eh? Why does it seem like every time some new sophisticated attack occurs there is also some new terrorist group to claim responsibility? Where did the ‘Victory and Jihad in Greater Syria’ come from??

Are we supposed to believe there are all sorts of people out there organizing and with easy access to such weapons that nobody knows about it? Is our war on terror so inept that explosives of that nature are easy to come by for every new Tom Dick and Harry group that comes along? That’s too much for me to believe.

I know the intelligence services of the US or Israel are very sophisticated, I don’t believe things like that happen without someone having advance knowledge. Come on, really! This is the age of high tech, and high tech industries are very carefully monitored. You can’t just go out and get a bomb like that without it raising red flags… right? Someone knows about it, you can’t fool me.

I always assume if a sophisticated terror attack occurs anywhere, it was done by a sophisticated organization, and you don’t just start up an organization and suddenly be all sophisticated and everything. It takes years of experience and building of networks that don’t happen over night.

So you can use your own brains to connect the dots, or you can be spoon feed what to think. I think a lot of people can see what is going on, though it’s not always safe or wise to say it out loud these days.

No comments: