Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Day Tripping

I need to get finished with this story, as there is still more to tell. Events and conditions would continue to push me in certain directions. I want to make a disclaimer here, I am by no means encouraging the use of LSD, in fact I would advise against it. In my case I seemed to have no choice, and perhaps because of my disposition or whatever, my ‘trips’ were often a positive experience for me.

Anyway, I’m not sure where we spent the night that night after our day in the park. Memories from that long ago are a little vague. We continued our drive across the mid-west, and according to our calculations, we would run out of gas somewhere in Nebraska.

The lure of the drug was too much for us. We continued to take it as we drove. The curious thing about LSD is the body quickly develops a resistance to the drug, requiring larger doses to have any affect. By the third day we were taking 8 or 9 hits every few hours in a desperate attempt to recapture the magic we encountered on the first day.

Sadly it was not really possible. We found ourselves in some sort of burned out, spaced out state. Sitting next to each for three days, doing nothing but driving, only eating peanut butter and bread, taking non-stop LSD, all this is a sure recipe for disaster. On top of that we knew we didn’t have enough money to make it home and our only choice would be to become ‘drug dealers’. Not a very happy prospect.

It’s amazing we didn’t cut each others throat. I do have a memory of totally getting angry at K. for his wining and complaining, as if it was my fault or I had some control over events. That kept the car quiet as we speed at 90 mph across Nebraska.

Somehow in our dazed state K. remembered that he had an older step brother living in Lincoln, Nebraska. It was decided we would stop by for a visit. I don’t remember if we called with advanced warning, I like to think we did. We arrived in the evening in time for dinner, a real meal!

I’m sure we must have looked like some wild men, after 3 days of ‘tripping’ and sleeping in the front seat of the car, and no bath, we must have been a stinky mess. I don’t remember the conversation at dinner, but I think we sort of let on to our plight, without coming right out and asking for money.

After a good night’s sleep in a bed, a hot shower and a hot breakfast we were ready to hit the road again. Our plan was to head downtown and see if we could find a customer. As we were saying our good bye’s K.’s brother slipped a small wad of cash into his hand. K. put it in his pocket and we drove off, anxious to see how much it was.

Looks were deceiving, the wad looked substantial, but it turned out to be all one dollar bills. We had $19 more dollars. Maybe it was enough if we didn’t buy any food.

No comments: